The Heart of a Caring Community
Voluntary Action Center

financial assistance request 

To determine if you might be eligible for financial assistance, read the following guidelines to see if you qualify:

  • For rental assistance, is your name on the lease?  For utility assistance, are you on the bill?
  • Have you lived in Gordon County, GA, for at least three months?
  • Have you had a recent income loss or another emergency that created unexpected bills or financial burdens?
  • ​Are you facing disconnection of your utility service or eviction from your place of residence in Gordon County?

If you answered yes to the questions above, you may be eligible for an emergency assistance appointment.  

Please call our office for a phone screening to determine if you are eligible for an in-person interview.  Call 706-629-7283.  

When you come to your appointment you need to bring the following information:

  • Your Picture ID
  • 30 Days' proof of income for you and all adults living in your home.  This includes benefits checks and food stamps.
  • For rent, your lease, and completed Landlord verification letter.  
  • For utilities, the current or past due bill (not the disconnect notice).  
  • Proof of Need or Emergency:  This can include paid receipts for car repairs, medical bills, separation notice, or other.  Ask our case manager for specific documentation requirements for your particular request.

Our Emergency Financial Assistance program is open to Gordon County residents with a documented hardship or emergency.  Requesting assistance can be completed by requesting an in-person appointment by calling 706-629-7283.  Due to the limited funding availability, we do not accept walk-in requests.  

We adhere to policies and procedures our Board of Directors approved when making decisions for Emergency Financial Assistance requests.  These policies and procedures look at the requestor's current emergency situation and the amount of financial assistance our organization and the Gordon County Social Services Network have provided historically.  

Our emergency financial assistance programs are limited to the following:

  • Rent/Mortgage Assistance:  Rent/Mortgage must be past due or payable within five days of request.
  • Utility Assistance ( water or power):  Utilities must be past due or payable within five days of request.  Disconnected services or previous bills are not eligible.
  • Emergency Hotel Vouchers:  Families with children under the age of 18 in the residence may qualify if they have a recent eviction notice from a Gordon County residence.  A recent eviction is within the last 30 days.  Families without an eviction notice must have a referral from a Voluntary Action Center Partner Agency.  Vouchers are limited and may not be available upon request.

Emergency Financial Assistance